With so many diet plans being promoted today, it is tough to believe them all. One thing you should understand though is that the best diet plans address lifestyle changes instead of just prompting you to change one thing about your life. This is why the 5 Factor Diet by Harley Pasternak is getting lots of attention. Unlike other diet plans, this particular method follows basic yet logical principles.
Prior to proceeding, it is best to first introduce exactly who made the 5 Factor Diet. Harley Pasternak is a licensed dietician and fitness trainer.
What is the 5 Factor Diet?
The 5 Factor Diet is a plan that operates on the magic number 5.
This means that you will be following the diet plan 5 days in a week, eating five times a day and making sure that each of your meals contains five basic minerals: protein, fiber, complex carbohydrates, fluids, and healthy fats.
This principle actually makes shopping easier while still providing you with sufficient choices in the market.
Your food choices are not the only thing covered by the diet. The plan also takes into account exercises, specifically with five high-intensity workouts, each one lasting five minutes.
How Does it Work?
The Five Factor Diet works by giving you clear guidelines on what you can eat so that you can carefully avoid what you should not eat. At the same time, the exercise guidelines make it easier for you to follow the plan.
Five Food Factors
- Low Fat, High Protein – this includes chicken breast, seafood, cottage cheese, fish, salmon, and low fat milk.
- Low and Moderate Carbs – choose from sweet potato, lentils, oatmeal, quinoa, wild rice, and spinach.
- Good Fat – food choices include grape seed, canola, olive oil, and mustard
- Fibrous Foods – brown rice, apple, beans, flourless wheat bread, broccoli, and whole grain cereal
- No-Sugar Drinks – sugarless tea and coffee. Water is highly recommended.
Ideally, your five exercises should include both cardio and strength workouts.
The workouts themselves are often up to you, but a balance must be kept if you want a complete body trimming and development. Ideally, this is how you should approach the exercises:
- 5 minutes of warm up
- 5 minutes of exercises for the lower body
- 5 minutes of exercises for the upper body
- 5 minutes core exercises
- 5 minutes intense cardio workout for fat burning
With this system, it makes sense to use compound workouts so you will be exercising group muscles all at the same time. No need for the use of equipment or going to the gym – as long as you reach high intensity levels.
Pros and Cons of the 5 Factor Diet
– It is a lifestyle plan which means that once you manage to successfully follow the routine, you will not just shed the pounds but also feel healthier and more energetic
– The principles introduced by Pasternak are incredibly easy and do not really require much thought
– The 5 factor food groups translate to easy pickings when it comes to grocery shopping. No need for extensive planning – you’ll be able to decide on your meal quickly
– There’s no calorie counting involved in the diet which can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. Obviously, moderation is the key here
– The diet plan is only supposed to last for five weeks although you can continue this as needed
– The 5 Factor Diet allows for 5 cheat days within 5 weeks although of course, moderation is still encouraged as well as staying within healthy food items
– It’s ideal for people who don’t have the time to prepare full meals. Thanks to the limit in food options, you really don’t have to think much when it comes to meals
Of course, the system does have some drawbacks. For one thing, the plan is basic and works for people who only want to achieve a healthy body mass. If you’re aiming for bigger muscles, then a more extensive exercise plan must be followed.
Celebrities Using this Diet
The 5 Factor Diet has been proven so useful that celebrities renowned for their excellent figures are also using it. Some of them to name a few include Eva Mendes, Katy Perry, Jessica Simpson, Lady Gaga, Alicia Keys, Megan Fox, and Kate Beckinsale. Eva Mendes has actually been following the diet for years now and finds that it fits well with her schedule.