DASH Diet Recipes
The DASH Diet is one of the most popular diets in the world. Voted the Best Overall Diet and Best Diabetes Diet by U.S. News & World Report, the DASH Diet provides people with food options to promote a long, healthy life.
Standing for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, the DASH Diet is recommended by the National Institutes of Health and the American Heart Association. This low-sodium diet centers on eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, low-fat or non-fat dairy products, and whole grains. There are some excellent recipes included in the DASH Diet that keeps many dieters content and happy with their meal choices.
The DASH Diet has many delicious breakfast recipes that will help you start your day. Here are three of the more popular breakfast meals you can eat while on the DASH Diet.
1. Maple Glazed Apples with Spiced Yogurt and Granola – A delicious way to start your day as this recipe utilizes the staple foods of the DASH Diet; fruit, yogurt and granola.
2. Muesli Breakfast Bars – This breakfast dish is perfect for those on the go as this recipe combines rolled oats with nuts and fruit and packs it into a mini bar that you can take with you on the road.
3. Lean Country Style Breakfast Sausage – Most diets limit your intake of meats, not the DASH Diet. As long as you use lean ground pork loin and ground turkey breast, you can still enjoy tasty breakfast sausage when on the DASH Diet.
The DASH Diet does not skimp when it comes to lunch either as there are some delicious options for those following this diet plan.
1. Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers – The meaty textured Portobello mushroom makes for a great substitute for a hamburger. A Portobello mushroom only has 30 calories whereas a hamburger can have as many as 235 calories and 16 grams of fat.
2. Chicken and Portobello Baguette – Boneless chicken breast, Portobello mushrooms, roasted bell peppers, and Dijon mustard are the perfect ingredients for a tasty sandwich. Make sure to place your items on a whole-grain baguette to limit the amount of calories of this tasty meal.
3. Tuna Pita Pockets – If you are not a fan of chicken or Portobello mushrooms, you can try the Tuna Pita Pockets. Canned tuna is an excellent source of low-fat protein and provides many other essential vitamins and minerals, including selenium, iron, vitamin B-12, and magnesium. Add chopped vegetables in your pita and this meal makes a great lunch or light dinner.
1. Beef Stroganoff – Rather than using noodles, you can substitute rice pilaf for this recipe. Also, do not forget a side of vegetables to turn this into a delicious, hearty meal
2. Mango Salsas Pizza – Everyone loves pizza, but it can seem nearly impossible to have this dish when on a diet. For this recipe you will replace traditional pizza toppings with fruits and vegetables. Mix together red and green peppers, onions, mangos, pine apples, lime juice, and cilantro for your toppings and enjoy this flavorful pizza dish.
3. Mediterranean-style Grilled Salmon – Grilling your salmon instead of frying it will reduce the calorie amount. In this recipe you will use basil, parsley, garlic and lemon juice to season your salmon, providing you with a mouthwatering dish perfect for any dinner.
While these are just a few DASH Diet recipe ideas for each meal, the options are virtually endless when it comes to preparing meals for the DASH Diet. As long as you use the main foods associated with the DASH diet – fruits, vegetables, grains, lean meats, and seafood – there is no restrictions on the type of meals you can prepare when following the DASH Diet.